The Tall Street Journal

What are some of the dumb quotes or things people have said to you about your height.

Heres my kicker from the last few weeks.

Standing at the elevator this professionally dressed 40ish looking woman does your typical look, look back, look, look back scenario, then finally hits me with the typical "Did you know you are tall?"

Of course this is an absurd statement to say in the first place, but I politely said, "Yup, a bit bigger than the average bear", or some other non-chalant quip I've developed over time.

Then she doubles back with "No. Really. Did you know that you are REALLY tall".

Umm. Yeah. 30 years of this, figured it out by now. Got you on that one Roger Dodger, I think in my head, politely nodding my head with a little "Yup."

Finally, I kid you not, she uttered this gem "Are you a mutant?"

I wanted to say so many different things like "Uh, yeah, you know Wolverine he is my brother" or "Yeah, I used to be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle". Fortunately, I took the higher.. er taller road and went for the stairs.

What lines and/or stories have others had to deal with?

Views: 3315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My favorite was a few years ago...I was crossing the street and a SUV came to a screeching halt, a tall guy jumps out of the passenger side and says to me "If you and I were to pro-create we could sell our babies to the NBA". Although it was a tempting offer, I politely declined.
Thats awesome..Was he atleast cute though?
Seriously? I've had some pretty strange things said to me, but nothing like that. What a jerk!
At least he used the word procreate rather than slang....
Oh, I have one to share.

I go to several shoe stores last week and ask for certain shoes in a size 10. That is what I wear. A girl at one store actually came out and said "well I do have a size 5", and she ACTUALLY brought the pair out. I looked at her and said "am I supposed to staple the two together and put them on one foot?" and I just got a blank look from her. I then go to other stores, looking for a certain pair of heels.... and nothing. no one had my size..... then finally I go in to one store. grab 4 pairs, figuring my chances were greater.... and asked for my size. This girl comes out and says... "no m'am we do not have any of these shoes in your size." I ask if they have ANY shoe in the store in my size..... with a head nod, a slight eye roll and a snicker, she says " well, the average height IS 5'6 so and women that are your size usually never wear heels."

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm WHAT???????

skank.

ok.. i am done now.... :)

guess that means I am ABOVE average huh?
OK, well try finding a size 12 W. NO ONE has it. IF you find it at Payless (The only place here with some) most of them are heels. I am already taller than my husband

Shoe shopping is annoying
I laughed out loud at your posting! What on earth possessed her to bring out a pair of shoes half your size???? Loved your resonse to that!!!
yes that is definitely what it means we are above average, and how dare she!!! i told a bus driver although i am tall i am still a lady and a lady loves heels!!! the shorties get it way twisted.
Have you ever noticed that when you buy heels in the larger sizes the heel seems a bit smaller???
I have the same problem. Most stores don't have my size either, 11.
Try going to Payless Shoes or Rackroom. They have specific sections for shoe sizes
so you don't have to keep asking till you find the one horrible shoe they have in your
size. Size 11 is usually pretty bare, but the size 10 section isn't too shabby.
And I was able to buy a nice pair of black heels there the other day.

Good luck. :]
What is wrong with people? There are plenty of 'average size' womenn who wear a size 10. Geez!
Marie,

Funny, funny story. I laughed so much. I would have loved being there to see the look on that sales lady's face when you said "staple the two together and put them on one foot"! That would have been priceless. Thanks for the laugh. I have one I need to post as well. Watch for it. Take care.

Best regards,

Wayne

RSS

© 2022   Created by Cheyenne Throckmorton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service